In my Handicap Era - Alaska Travel Day

Traveling in a wheelchair and crutches is….interesting. It’s 4am in Alaska which is 8AM back home and we’ve definitely not adjusted to the time zone switch. Matt and I both woke up around 3 our time and tried to stay in bed but that wasn’t happening. Yesterday was not as hectic as I thought it would be but I sat way more than I feel is natural. I sat so much, that my ankles had impressions from my socks and capris so I need to move more today and drink lots of water. Once we arrived to our AIRbnb I did insist on doing our after dinner excursion on crutches. We went to a little nearby touristy town and it felt great to actually stretch my legs out for really the first time that day. I’m going crazy not being able to move but I’m determined to baby this injury to hopefully get back in my running shoes faster. I’m surprised at how nice perfect strangers can be to someone in a wheelchair. I still feel self conscious being wheeled around because people tend to stare. I’m not someone who looks like they need to be wheeled around and it’s not like I want to wear a sign on my head that says “I’m a 33 year old runner who broke a hip” but I did have an elderly passenger on our flight to Anchorage ask me what I did and I jokingly told him, I’m way older than I look lol I felt waves of depression hitting me here and there yesterday because I love speed walking through busy airports but would never be able to keep up with the family on my crutches. I’m also really starting to battle the mental turmoil of not wanting to eat but I’m doing my best…here’s a quick photo dump from yesterday. Today we have a boat tour which I’m curious to see what that’s all about lol I have a seat cushion that I’m taking with me to make the ride more comfortable.

Comments

Popular Posts