In My Handicap Era - Physical Therapy Updates and 9 Weeks Post Injury!

This past weekend marked exactly two months since I broke my hip. Two months roughly that feels like it's flown by, and crawled by. At times I'm still stuck in a major twighlight zone not even believing it happened. I still wrestle selfishly at how this messed with "my plans" and what "I" wanted and still have to make myself hand my plans back over to God before committing my heart to them. Either way, I'm trying to be hopeful to the future, a future that I want to involve many more races and PR's in. I miss running, I miss racing so very much and still can't wait for the day to be determined of when I can slide back into my Endorphin Pro's and line up in my assigned starting corral to a major race.

Last week, my Physical Therapist gave me some new, killer exercises to incorporate into my daily routine. I've been using a medicine ball at the gym to do some unholy crunches and planks and my word, they hurt! I'm also using new techniques to strengthen my hip adductor and abductors too. The speed at which I get stronger will determine when I get back to running according to Dr. Haak, so hello resistence training! I have as of last week, officially ditched my crutches! I was having to use them when I came to campus to work which usually, encompassed walking more than I needed to at this point and the doc said he wants me to stop relying on them and just get stronger going forward. I am also allowed to start using dumbbells and can hold up to 15lbs of weight at a time. I also am now using the StairMaster so hello calorie burn! I use it for at least 45 minutes each day and it's helped me keep the weight down which my mental health really needs. What's even greater is that it does't hurt during or after. Every day I feel little improvements and I'm really looking forward to what my ortho doc will say when I see him on the 17th. I'm on the two week countdown to seeing Dr. Montero and seeing what he wants to do in terms of further imaging and giving me the all clear to do the runner rehab. Believe me when I say, I'm not even speed walking until I can get visual confirmation via an MRI that this dang bone is completely, 100% healed! I'm not going through this again and I'm not going to push it and risk resetting my recovery clock.

I really thought at week 4, that I was rounding the bend to the halfway point of recovering from this injury but that wasn't the case. Definitely looking like a good 12 weeks of time to nearly make a full recovery so I've decided to just stay patient because I would rather make a full recovery and be completely recovered and avoid any risk taking. It's just getting emotionally harder to deal with not being able to meet up with my run groups on the weekends and it especially sucks when there is a race and I can't go and be apart of it. Yesterday was the Labor Day 5K that Matt wanted to go run and I of course, stayed home. Wasn't easy for me at all but I went to the gym, crafted and read a book to distract myself. I also put up all my fall decorations which was a nice thing to look forward to!
Being able to go to the gym is the biggest blessing for me right now with all I've got going on. Later this month, I've got some "glam plans" that I can't wait to blog about! Little things like this are going to keep me distracted until it's time to start runner rehab.

Happy (Monday) Tuesday everyone! We'll be back to our regularly scheduled topic later today!

Comments

Popular Posts